Chocolate Delice Recipe21 January 2021
Chocolate delice is perfect for special occasions such as Valentine’s Day. This is a classic French dessert recipe.
Chocolate Sponge Base
- 175g plain chocolate, broken into small pieces
- 175g caster sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 30ml cocoa powder
- 155g 70% dark chocolate, broken in pieces
- 1 medium egg
- 90ml double cream
- 150ml milk
- 75g caster sugar
- 60ml water
- 25g cocoa powder
- 45g double cream
- 5 gelatine leaves
For the Chocolate Sponge Base
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/350 °F/gas 4.
- Lightly grease a 33cm x 23cm (13in x 9in) tin and line with non-stick baking parchment.
- Place chopped chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl; microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring between each until melted.
- Separate the eggs into different bowls.
- Place the sugar and egg yolks in a stand mixer’s bowl and whisk until light and creamy. Pour in the chocolate and stir until evenly blended.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff.
- Stir a large spoonful of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture.
- Mix gently, then fold in the remaining egg whites and the sieved cocoa powder.
- Spread the chocolate mixture evenly in the prepared tin.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until firm.
- Remove the cake from the oven, leave in the tin, cover with a dry tea towel and leave until cold.
- Using a 23cm (9in) springform cake tin as a sort of cookie cutter. Cut a circle out of sponge, then place it inside the springform cake tin. If you want the restaurant look use 8cm stainless ring, when you want to take it out onto the plate put the ring into the freezer for 30 mins so the delice is nearly frozen then put onto the plate and if you have a blow torch give the stainless steel a little flash and let it slip off remembering it will be hot.
- The base is now ready for the filling.
For the Filling:
- Place chopped chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl; microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring between each until melted. Set aside.
- Lightly beat the egg in a bowl.
- Bring the cream and milk to the boil, then pour onto the egg, whisking vigorously. Slowly whisk this mixture into the melted chocolate.
- Leave it to settle for a little while and skim off any bubbles should they pop up.
- Pour the mixture over the chocolate sponge base in the springform tin.
- Allow to cool for 30 minutes, then chill for at least 6 hours but preferably overnight.
For the Glaze:
- Soak the gelatine in water until soft, then squeeze it dry. Set aside.
- Place the water and caster sugar in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for 4 minutes, then add the cocoa powder and cream.
- Bring the mixture back to the boil and simmer for another 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in the gelatine until it is dissolved.
- Pass the chocolate glaze through a sieve then let it cool down to 35°C.
- Pour the glaze evenly over the delice filling and leave to cool in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Carefully release the chocolate delice from the springform tin and place it on a serving plate.
- Optional: sprinkle with chocolate curls and if like serve with a good coffee ice cream.