Makes 6 -8 buns
Prep time – 10 minutes
Proving time -40 minutes
Cooking time – 15 minutes
- 500g – strong flour
- ½ tsp – salt
- 2 tsp – mixed spice
- 50g – golden caster sugar
- 50g – unsalted butter
- 225g – mixed dried fruit
- 1 x 7g – sachet dried yeast
- 2 – large free-range eggs, whisked
- 200ml – whole milk
For the crosses
- 60g – plain flour
- To glaze – honey
- Add flour salt, mixed spice and sugar to a bowl and stir.
- Rub in the butter with your fingertips.
- Stir in the dried fruit, sprinkle over the yeast and mix in.
- Warm the milk slightly and mix with the whisked eggs.
- Add this mixture to the flour and fruit and combine well until it becomes a loose dough.
- Break the dough into 6 – 8 even-sized pieces and place on a lightly floured surface.
- Mould them into individual buns and place them on a lined baking tray well apart from each other.
- Allow the buns to prove for 30 – 40 minutes until they have grown by about 50%.
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C.
- To make the crosses mix the flour with a little water to make a paste and add to a piping bag.
- Once the buns have risen, carefully pipe the mix to make a cross on each bun.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until risen and golden, remove to a wire rack to cool.
- Once the buns have slightly cooled, brush with honey and allow them to cool completely.
We would love to see your creations! Tag us on social media @SearcysLondon #StayinwithSearcys